Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Learning Curve

One of the questions that people asked us the most before we left was, "How is your Spanish?" or "Are you fluent in Spanish yet?" This was a difficult question to answer because really, if you are not in a spanish congregation, or are living in spanish-speaking country, it is nearly impossible to learn spanish quickly. So even though we had been learning back home, and we had visited twice before for a brief stay, we basically came here 3 weeks ago knowing virtually no spanish.

Taking a break in service. 

Also as you may know, we spent our first week here attending an English convention. So therefore, Bree and I have been immersed in the Spanish language for a grand total of 15 days. It has been very challenging to say the least! Saying the least is exactly what we have been doing! We can't say anything in Spanish!! Or that is at least how we feel.

The congregation is very nice and patient with us. Sam is very helpful for sure. But he can't be with us every second to translate if we don't understand. That is when it gets interesting. For example, sometimes I so desperately want to let the brother or sister know that I understood them, that I may agree and shake my head yes even though I am not quite sure what they just said!

Sam missing the piano.
Me missing football.

Knowing the "pure language" is such a help. The meetings and service are easier to follow along with because when scriptures are looked up, we know what they say in English, so therefore we know what the discussion is usually about.

As you can imagine, since we have only been doing this for two weeks, we have made some funny mistakes already. But since the part at the convention said we should laugh about the mistakes, let's review some of Bree and I's best ones so far. (mostly mine, since Bree is doing better than me. They ask her to translate when I can't understand something already!)

-On Bree's fourth day in the ministry, a sister in the hall asked her to say a prayer on a study! She wasn't the slightest bit prepared! She did well, but apparently just forgot to say "in Jesus name". So neither the other sister nor the student knew the prayer was over. She quickly remembered and said it.

-That same day, at the afternoon group Bree was telling us about it and we all laughed. Then Elvis, one of the elders in the hall, looked at me and asked me to say the prayer. "Uh oh," I thought. I basically just tried as hard as I could to recite the prayer Bree had just told us she said!

-During the Watchtower, I had prepared a comment. My comment was supposed to be: "Sexual sin is a form of greediness." The word for sin in spanish is: pecado. The word for fish in spanish is: pescado. I let you you figure out which one I used. Immediately after my comment, Sam leaned over and told me that I said, "Sexual fish".

-I committed another similar mistake today, this time during a prayer. The words for things and houses are very close (cosas/casas) So in my prayer I said, "we thank you for all the houses," instead of what I meant to say, "we thank you for all things." Not as crazy of a mistake, so there is progress!

I'm sure we made many others, but those were the ones I can remember.

A video! You don't get that in Sam's blog do you? Fumigating the neighborhood.


We have definetly made progress since we got here though and that is essential to focus on. As mentioned, we both have said prayers. Both of us have been able to conduct bible studies with the Good News brochure. Each meeting we have prepared comments as well. And we have been able to have to get to know the friends in the congregation more and more.

Time is going by really slow. But I view it as a good thing, because I am going to need every moment of these six months to learn as much spanish as I can!

-Ben and Bree

Bree and I went to the beach with friends in the Leon English congregation after we traveled there to give a talk. 







2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, I find yours and Sam's blogs very entertaining and inspirational! Agape!

    ReplyDelete